Translation result

[Herald Economy=Jeon Hyun-gun] Defense Minister Ahn Kyu‑baek told the National Assembly’s National Defense Committee March 17 that the Ministry of National Defense is securing the safety of overseas-deployed units and, in close ROK-U.S. cooperation, maintaining an enhanced surveillance and guard posture toward North Korea.
Ahn said exchanges of fire involving the U.S., Israel and Iran continue and that fighting has spread across the Middle East.
He said the military is also focused on its core missions, citing last weekend’s Operation Desert Light, which repatriated citizens who had been in the region. He added the armed forces will remain vigilant and maintain a high state of readiness for all contingencies.
Given the tense security environment, the ministry will methodically implement its 2026 defense policy to build a modern, technologically advanced force that the public trusts, he said.
On the illegal Dec. 3 emergency martial law, Ahn said the military has undertaken sustained efforts to restore its honor and regain public trust after painful reflection.
He called 2026 a watershed year for rebuilding the \”people’s military\” and said the government’s defense-reform roadmap — including restoring wartime operational control during his term — will move firmly onto its main track. He pledged to carry out defense policies so that citizens and service members can feel tangible results.






Most Commented