Trump Announces Successful Operation Against ISIS: What Does This Mean for Global Security?
Daniel Kim Views
Translation result.
President Donald Trump announced that U.S. and Nigerian special operations forces killed the Islamic State’s global No. 2 in a joint operation.
On the 15th (local time), he told reporters this aboard Air Force One as he returned from a trip to Beijing.
He later confirmed the operation’s success on his social media platform, Truth Social, saying, “Tonight, at my direction, brave U.S. and Nigerian forces flawlessly executed a carefully planned, highly complex operation to remove from the battlefield a terrorist who had been active worldwide.”
According to Trump, the man killed in the operation was Abu Bilal al-Minuki, the Islamic State’s global second-in-command.
Trump said, “He may have thought he could hide in Africa, but he didn’t know we had sources tracking everything he did,” underscoring that precise U.S. intelligence enabled the mission.
He added that the strike will prevent him from threatening African civilians and from aiding plans to target Americans, and said the action significantly degraded IS’s global operational capabilities.
Trump has repeatedly highlighted the persecution of Christians in Nigeria — a country that has suffered frequent Islamist extremist attacks — and has suggested that military intervention could be an option.
At Trump’s direct orders, U.S. forces coordinated with Nigerian troops last year on Christmas Day (Dec. 25) to strike local IS positions, part of an escalating counterterror campaign across Africa.






Most Commented