President Donald Trump convened his national security team on the evening of July 18 for a briefing on military options against Iran, U.S. officials told Axios, shortly after he announced he was shelving planned strikes.Axios, citing two U.S. officials on July 19, reported that Trump had posted on Truth Social on the 18th saying he had ordered the military to hold off on the Iran strikes “at the request of Gulf states.” Hours after that post, officials say the security team reviewed scenarios for restarting an attack.Those at the meeting included Vice President J.D. Vance; Secretary of State Marco Rubio; Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth; Joint Chiefs Chairman Dan Keane; CIA Director John Ratcliffe; and special envoy Steve Witkof. Officials said the briefing covered diplomatic progress and a range of military options.Axios noted that the very fact the president received a military-options briefing suggested he was seriously considering resuming strikes. Behind the scenes, U.S. officials told Axios that no final decision had been made when Trump announced the hold.The high-level meeting had originally been scheduled for July 19 and was expected to determine whether to strike, but officials moved it up to the evening of the 18th after the announcement. According to U.S. officials, warnings from Gulf leaders about potential Iranian retaliation against regional oil facilities factored into the president’s decision to delay the strikes.Axios reported that many U.S. officials were surprised by the announcement and left uncertain about the administration’s next steps. Views within the administration remain split: a source close to Trump said he appears intent on applying heavy pressure to extract concessions in negotiations, while others predict he could again delay action if diplomacy fails. Trump has insisted serious talks are underway, but a senior U.S. official told Axios that Iran’s latest counterproposal shows little clear progress.
Comments0
[Military] Latest Stories
30 of 33 Iran Missile Bases Still Active: Intelligence Defies Trump Claims
US Javelin Missiles Deployed in Taiwan's High-Stakes Live-Fire Drill
North Korea's 10-Year Nuclear Threat: Is a Limited Strike Imminent?
AI vs. Video Compression: How RMX is Redefining Tactical Edge Tech
US-South Korea Security Meeting Sparks Tension Over Military Control
Iran Claims Missile Strikes on U.S. Military Bases: Did They Hit?
Weekly Best Articles
[Military] Popular Now
30 of 33 Iran Missile Bases Still Active: Intelligence Defies Trump Claims
US Javelin Missiles Deployed in Taiwan's High-Stakes Live-Fire Drill
North Korea's 10-Year Nuclear Threat: Is a Limited Strike Imminent?
AI vs. Video Compression: How RMX is Redefining Tactical Edge Tech
US-South Korea Security Meeting Sparks Tension Over Military Control
Iran Claims Missile Strikes on U.S. Military Bases: Did They Hit?






Most Commented