![]() |
| Neymar / Photo: Getty Images |
[Sports Today reporter Kang Tae-gu] Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti left Neymar (Santos) out of the 26-man squad for March’s international friendlies.
On March 17 (KST), at the Brazilian Football Confederation headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Ancelotti unveiled the roster that will travel for the two friendlies in the United States.
Brazil will meet France in Boston on March 26 and face Croatia in Orlando on March 31.
Neymar’s name did not appear on the list.
The 31-year-old is Brazil’s all-time top scorer, with 79 goals in 128 appearances. He has not featured for the national team since suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus in his left knee during an October 2023 World Cup qualifier against Uruguay.
Neymar underwent surgery on the knee in December. He returned to club action last month and scored within three matches, signaling his intent to push for World Cup selection.
Still, Ancelotti opted against including him. “Neymar is not at 100 percent, so he was not included in this squad,” Ancelotti said. “He’s not in a condition to show 100 percent of his ability.”
The coach added that if Neymar can reach full fitness, he remains in contention for the World Cup. “He must keep playing to prove his form and maintain good condition,” Ancelotti said.
After learning he was omitted, Neymar told local media he was “upset and sad,” but added that training and playing every day have helped him stay focused and that he still hopes to make the final World Cup roster.
Ancelotti called up 19-year-old striker Endrick as Neymar’s replacement. Endrick spent the winter transfer window on loan from Real Madrid to Olympique Lyon.
Also included was Igor Thiago, who has scored 19 goals this season for Brentford in the English Premier League (EPL).
[Sports Today reporter Kang Tae-gu sports@stoo.com]
「Closer to you, the most FunFun news ⓒ Sports Today」







Most Commented