Translation result.
▲ Ahn Hye-jin ⓒKOVO
[SPOTV News=Choi Won-young] She’s been left without a team.
The Korea Volleyball Federation (KOVO) announced the results of the women’s free-agent (FA) signings on April 21. The negotiation window ran from April 8 until 6 p.m. on April 21.
Setter Ahn Hye-jin, 28, who was involved in a DUI incident, went unsigned. Every team — including her original club, GS Caltex — declined to offer her a contract.
Ahn entered the pro ranks in the 2016–17 season as GS Caltex’s first-round, third overall pick and spent her career exclusively with the club. She battled shoulder and knee injuries in recent years but rebounded in 2025–26. Ahn played a starring role in the postseason, helping the first-ever third-place regular-season team sweep through the championship and earn the title as the starting setter.
After the season she qualified for free agency and had been named to the women’s national team training roster announced by the Korea Volleyball Association on April 16. It looked like a clear path forward.
▲ Ahn Hye-jin ⓒKOVO
But that momentum stopped. On April 17, GS Caltex confirmed Ahn’s DUI on its official social media account and informed fans that the club would take the matter seriously. The team said drunk driving is unacceptable under any circumstances, expressed deep regret for the situation, and apologized to fans and all V-League supporters. The club also reported the incident to the volleyball federation.
GS Caltex said it will conduct a thorough internal review and take appropriate measures. The club added it will reassess and strengthen its education and management systems for players and staff to prevent a recurrence, and again apologized for the concern and disappointment caused.
Ahn posted a handwritten apology on her personal social media on the afternoon of April 17. She wrote: “I deeply apologize for causing controversy by driving under the influence. This was entirely my fault — a reckless action with no excuse. I am truly sorry to the fans who support me, everyone who loves volleyball, and the club and league officials for the disappointment and concern I caused.”
She added that she will reflect deeply on her actions and live with ongoing remorse to ensure the mistake is never repeated, and apologized again.
▲ After her DUI incident, women’s pro volleyball setter Ahn Hye-jin posted a handwritten apology on her personal social media. ⓒAhn Hye-jin SNS
Shortly after, Ahn was removed from the national team. Under the Korea Volleyball Association’s “National Team Selection and Operation Regulations,” a player who has been fined under 5,000,000 KRW (≈ $3,750) for drunk driving and whose offense falls within a two-year period is ineligible for national team selection. Although a court ruling has not been issued, head coach Cha Sang-hyun requested Ahn’s removal, and she was taken off the training roster.
On top of that, Ahn — who had been hoping for a lucrative FA deal — will not wear any team’s uniform next season. KOVO’s “Free-Agent Management Regulations” state that FA players who remain unsigned by the negotiation deadline are listed as uncontracted FAs. Once listed, a player cannot sign with any club for that season, though they can negotiate freely during the next season’s FA period.
As a result, Ahn will be ineligible to play in the 2026–27 season.
▲ Ahn Hye-jin ⓒKOVO
KOVO will hold a disciplinary committee meeting regarding Ahn at its office in Mapo-gu, Seoul, on the morning of April 27. Ahn is expected to attend and present her explanation in person.
Under KOVO’s disciplinary rules, a player caught driving under the influence can face penalties ranging from a warning to suspension or expulsion. The federation can also impose fines of 5,000,000 KRW (≈ $3,750) or more. Attention is focused on the committee’s decision.
Meanwhile, in this year’s women’s FA market only middle blocker Jung Ho-young completed a move, transferring from Jeonggwanjang to Heungkuk Life. The list of uncontracted players includes Ahn Hye-jin, former GS Caltex player Woo Soo-min, and former Jeonggwanjang player An Ye-rim.
Pyo Seung-ju, who was an uncontracted FA in 2025 and had retired, will return to the court after one year. She’s headed to Heungkuk Life from Jeonggwanjang via a sign-and-trade.
▲ Jung Ho-young ⓒHeungkuk Life
▲ Pyo Seung-ju ⓒKOVO






Most Commented