Translation result.
DR Congo returns to the World Cup finals after 52 years [Reuters/Yonhap]DR Congo returns to the World Cup finals after 52 years [Reuters/Yonhap]
The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DR Congo), back in the World Cup finals for the first time in 52 years, has canceled all of its planned domestic events amid an Ebola outbreak. In an interview with The Associated Press on June 21 (Korean time), a team spokesman said officials called off a three-day training camp and a fan send-off that had been scheduled in the capital, Kinshasa, after Ebola cases were reported in the eastern region. The spokesman said the Kinshasa events have been scrapped, but the team’s international travel plans remain intact: friendlies against Denmark in Belgium on June 3 and Chile in Spain on June 9, followed by the squad’s departure for Houston on June 11. Coach Sébastien Desabre — a French national — and many of the players are based overseas, including in France, so officials do not expect the outbreak to affect player availability.Recent reports indicate Ebola infections in DR Congo and Uganda have killed 139 people and infected roughly 600. FIFA said it is monitoring the situation and is working closely with the DR Congo Football Association to ensure the team follows all medical guidance. U.S. authorities, as co-hosts of the tournament, announced the DR Congo team will not face entry bans.Drawn into Group K, DR Congo opens its group stage on June 18 in Houston against Portugal, then faces Colombia and Uzbekistan as it fights for a spot in the round of 32. #DRC #CONCACAFWorldCup #Ebola #PortugalYonhap News TV — News tips and inquiries: KakaoTalk/LINE jebo23; Park Ji-eun (run@yna.co.kr)






Most Commented